Protecting your skin from UV rays is necessary all year round, even when there are gray skies outside. When the weather is overcast, UV rays can easily penetrate through the clouds and have an adverse effect on the skin. That said, during the summer months, sunscreen is a major must-have. And if you’re outdoors, you need to reapply it every two to three hours, especially if you have tattoos. Even a mini tattoo on your wrist, believe me, needs proper protection. Otherwise, the ink will discolor much sooner and you’ve given the tattoo artist money for nothing.
Fortunately, there are a lot of cosmetic brands that offer SPF products. And for different skin types and with different protection factors. The only problem is choosing the best one.We have gathered the top 6 popular sunscreens, lotions and gels that have long been rated (by us, our friends or the Internet users) as the most effective. With them both the skin and tattoos are definitely not afraid of the sun’s rays. All of them have at least SPF 30 protection, fast-absorbing texture and maximum moisture resistance.
Face and Body Cream SPF 50, Avene
The main feature of Avene is the texture that is suitable even for very sensitive and children’s skin that cannot tolerate fragrances and chemical filters. The main ingredients in the composition are pretocopheryl (a powerful antioxidant that is often found in the Avene line) and Avene thermal water. The cream protects not only from UV rays, but also soothes skin and relieves its irritations.
- Made with antioxidant oat, this daily facial sunscreen protects, moisturizes and nourishes your skin to help keep it feeling soft and healthier than before you went in the sun
- Suitable for use on the face and body, it provides UVA and UVB sun protection to help prevent sunburns and signs of premature skin aging
- Its lightweight formula is fast-absorbing, oil-free and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog pores, and is sweat-resistant and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- The face sunscreen lotion is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad spectrum sunscreen and is available in a TSA travel-friendly size.
Face and body lotion SPF 60, La Roche-Posay
SPF 60 is the bestseller in the brand’s sunscreen range. The instructions say that the product meets even stricter regulations to prevent UVA rays from affecting the skin than the European standard requires. The texture is very light and suitable for dry and sensitive skin as well as skin prone to redness and allergies.
- Oxybenzone and Octinoxate-free sunscreen for oily skin provides broad spectrum SPF 60 protection
- Oil-free sunscreen for acne prone skin helps absorb excess oil, reduce shine and won’t cause breakouts
- A powerful antioxidant complex to help protect skin from free radicals caused by UV rays
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin
Transparent Sunscreen Stick SPF 50, Shiseido
The Shiseido sunscreen range offers a variety of textures and SPF levels. We recommend our shiseido SPF 50 sheer lotion which can be applied on the skin without smearing your hands. It also makes it easy to apply locally, on a tattoo for instance.
- This ocean-friendly formula is free of oxybenzone and octinoxate and compliant with Hawaii regulations.
- For all skin types. Dermatologist-tested. Opthalmologist-tested. Non-comedogenic.
- Formulated to be water- and sweat-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
Face and body Waterlover Sun Milk SPF 50, Biotherm
Waterlover Sun Milk SPF 50, Biotherm does not only protect your skin and tattoos. The manufacturers write that the product formula includes 95% of biodegradable components, so it’s almost harmless to the environment.
- Contains ingredients selected to respect the aquatic environment.
- Its moisturizing formula is enriched in Life Plankton to guarantee a moisturized skin.
- Its fluid and unctuous texture can be applied rapidly, penetrates in an instant and leave your skin without white marks.
- Made in France.
Solaire SPF 50 Body Gel, Clarins
If you like gel textures, choose Gel-en-Huile Solaire Corps SPF 50, Clarins. The ingredients include senna and pea extracts, which have protective properties, and aloe extract, which moisturizes and nourishes the skin. The only thing is that it can stain clothes, so be careful.
- Specially designed for sun-intolerant skin or those exposed to intense sun
- Provides multi-cellular protection to consolidate skin’s natural defenses and shield from premature aging
- Blended with Phyto-Sunactyl 2 to shield epidermal cells from sun stress
Sheer Zinc SPF 50 Body Lotion, Neutrogena
Sheer Zinc SPF 50, Neutrogena, as the name implies, contains zinc oxide, which is a favorite sun protection ingredient for surfers that stays on the skin for a long time and is barely washed off with normal water.
- pecially formulated water-resistant face sunscreen is made with naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide and features Dry-Touch technology to help ensure it dries with a non-greasy finish
- Our lightweight sheer sunscreen is free of fragrance, parabens, phthalates, dyes and irritating chemicals so it’s gentle on skin and won’t sting eyes and layers invisibly under makeup for easy wear
- The non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and oil-free formula of this mineral sunscreen contains antioxidants to help protect against skin-damaging free radicals caused by the sun