The woman was the victim of “alternative” medicine – it is believed that by using soy sauce will be able to cleanse the bowel.
In Illinois 39-year-old woman, whose name was not disclosed to the media but it appears under the initials CG, almost died and lost their health following scary Board from the Internet.
The woman read that if you drink in two hours, a liter of soy sauce, it will help flush out intestines of all the toxins. While CG did not consider that in this product the huge amount of salt in large quantities it poses a great threat.
When CG drank the sauce, she soon felt ill: first, a quickened heartbeat, then began to spasm and pain in the stomach, tingling in the limbs and the woman lost consciousness. Her husband found her lying on the floor and called the doctors. On the way to the hospital for heart CG stopped, but he managed to run again.
The doctors discovered that she had acute hypernatremia in her blood was too much sodium. The sauce that drank the CG was 200 grams of salt, which is five times the lethal dose. The doctors tried sodium with glucose and CG initially felt better, but after a few days she lost the ability to speak, swallow, move his arms and legs.
As it turned out, a strong overdose of salt caused the destruction of the myelin sheath of the neurons of the brain, where the transmission of some signals. Can CG to recover, at least partially, is not clear, but in any case, the attempt to cleanse the bowel had cost her too much.