Sports are done for weight loss, gaining weight, pleasure, and health. Regardless of the goals, athletes take special supplements – sports nutrition. Let’s understand why they do it.
It takes a long time for the body to digest regular food. Sports nutrition is broken down and absorbed 4 times faster. In addition, when we train, all biochemical processes occur faster. Substances from conventional foods are no longer sufficient.
What is a sports nutrition?
Sports nutrition are natural supplements. In their composition:
- amino acids;
- proteins, carbohydrates;
- Vitamins A, B, C, D, E, H, K, PP;
- calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, silicon, potassium.
Their action is aimed at improving the quality of training, strength, endurance, increase muscle size, normalize metabolism, improve health, achieve optimal body weight.
Nutritional products are based on research in physiology and nutrition. These are concentrated mixtures of nutritional elements in an almost split state. This allows them to be quickly absorbed and assimilated by the body.
A common sports drink is protein. About him we have already written in our encyclopedia.
Athletes with such bottles can be seen in the gym. Such bottles are called shakers. It is easy to drink protein shakes from them.
Sports nutrition tips
Sports nutrition is for anyone who is involved in sports. Increased activity requires the body to expend a lot of energy – the body needs to build new cells, ensure their work and nutrition. The usual diet will not meet this need completely. Even if you increase your portions, it will stretch your stomach, but not improve the results of training.
To be successful in sports you need to train regularly, give your body a rest and eat right every day, including taking sports supplements.
Sports nutrition on women and men acts the same way. The only difference is the dose of consumption.
Myths about sports nutrition
Sports nutrition is often treated with caution, confusing it with anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids are chemicals. They increase the synthesis of protein inside the body’s cells and stimulate muscle growth.
Sports nutrition is a natural product. It is dangerous only in case of overdose or individual intolerance of the components. The manufacturer indicates the recommended dose and composition on the package. So it is easy to understand if a particular sports nutrition product is safe for you. There are no toxic, hormonal or inorganic compounds in sports nutrition.
What kinds of sports nutrition are there
Now let’s briefly go over the types of sports nutrition, so you can determine which one you need:
Protein is a protein-rich building block of muscles. A ready portion of protein contains up to 90 percent protein and only up to 10 percent carbohydrates. Protein is therefore suitable for anyone whose goals are to lose weight and increase muscle mass. There is very little protein in a regular diet. For example, 100 grams of beef has only 26 grams of protein, while during intensive workouts the recommended dose is 2.5 grams of protein per 1 kg of weight.
Protein is the basis of muscle tissue, and therefore muscle growth is impossible without sufficient protein. This is largely due to the fact that protein itself is composed of important compounds – amino acids that are essential for the nutrition and growth of muscle fibers. It is worth noting that among all kinds of sports nutrition products protein is practically a key element, since people engaged in sports have a special need for protein intake. Lack of this important element does not allow gaining the desired muscle mass and thus achieving the desired goals.
Protein, due to the variety of amino acids that make it up, can perform a number of functions, including stimulating muscle growth, reducing fat mass, maintaining physical fitness, etc. That is why you need to know what kinds of protein there are and what their effects are before using them.
7 types of protein:
- Whey protein concentrate;
- Protein hydrolysate;
- Whey protein isolate;
- Soy protein;
- Egg Protein;
- Milk Protein Isolate.
Whey protein concentrate is one of the most basic and popular forms of protein. It is included in many sports nutrition and supplements. Whey protein concentrate can be taken both before and after a workout. It can also be taken between meals.
If you need a protein that is slowly absorbed for 5-7 hours, casein is definitely the right one for you. Moreover, it can be used as a meal replacement.
Casein also has anti-catabolic properties, which means it prevents muscle tissue from breaking down.
Hydrolysates (e.g. whey hydrolysate or beef protein hydrolysate) are the highest quality source of protein. This is why the cost of the product is high. It contains peptides that are extremely highly digestible and have an astonishing anabolic effect.
If you want to quickly recover from exercise, quickly replenish glycogen reserves, and gain muscle mass more quickly, then this type of protein is exactly what you need.
Hydrolysate can be consumed both before and after your workout.
Protein isolates (whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, etc.) are one of the fastest digestible types of protein. It is also relatively expensive.
Since this type of protein is rapidly absorbed, it’s a great pre- and post-workout protein to take. Isolate will provide your muscles with the nutrients needed for growth and recovery.
Soy protein is an ideal source of protein for vegetarians. It also has a number of health benefits.
Soy protein can be consumed both before and after training. It is also possible to consume it during the day in order to provide the body with the necessary protein. It is preferable not to take it before going to bed.
Egg protein is a well-known product. Old school bodybuilders grew up on it. It is known to contain a large amount of amino acids needed to grow lean muscle mass.
This type of protein can be consumed at any time during the day. Intake before bedtime is not desirable.
Milk protein isolate contains both casein and whey protein. Like soy protein, this isolate is rich in amino acids. It is usually consumed in a mixture with other protein sources.
This isolate can be consumed at any time throughout the day.
Now you know what kinds of protein there are, what the results of taking them are and when you should take them. It is definitely difficult to single out any particular type of protein. What kind of protein to choose depends on the goals you set for yourself. We recommend the following.
What protein nutrition to buy?
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standar
The main advantages of the new Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard:
- High percentage of protein in each serving (24 grams).
- The main component of 100% Whey Gold Standard protein is whey protein isolate.
- For a faster supply of muscle amino acids, Optimum 100% Whey Gold Standard has added hydrolyzed whey peptides.
- Contains special digestive enzymes for better absorption of whey protein. Optimum 100% Whey Gold Standard is great for people who are not recommended products with lactose.
- It dissolves quickly.
- Each serving of 100% Whey Gold Standard contains over 5 grams of natural BCAA essential amino acids!
- 4 grams of Glutamine in every serving.
- Gold Standard is the gold standard for protein quality.
Maxler 100% Gold Whey
- Based on different forms of whey protein;
- 24 g of protein in each serving;
- Fast absorption and high bioavailability;
- Has a complete amino acid profile;
- Creates the conditions for muscle growth;
- Prevents muscle catabolism;
- Accelerates recovery.
Prostar 100% Whey Protein
- High quality whey protein
- 25 grams of protein per 30g serving
- 6,000 mg BCAA
- Fast recovery and muscle growth
- High speed and absorption
Dietary supplement consisting of 50 percent of fast-absorbed carbohydrates, the rest: 15-40 percent protein, creatine, trace elements, and sometimes vitamins. Gainers are necessary for gaining weight for people with a lean build. They are also taken for quick recovery after workouts, to maintain muscle definition. Gainers do not contain fat. Calories spent during exercise are replenished by carbohydrates.
Thus, gainers are recommended for people who have difficulty gaining weight, as well as for heavy athletes whose daily caloric intake is much higher than the average person.
Effects of Taking Gainers
- Muscle growth and weight gain;
- Quick recovery after training.
What kind of gainers to buy?
- A complex of fast- and slow-digesting protein sources including whey, casein, and eggs 50g per serving.
- Over 250g of carbohydrates per Serious Mass serving, to provide energy for an intense workout and replenish glycogen reserves in the muscles.
- 25 vitamins and essential minerals, with an emphasis on B-vitamins and antioxidants.
- The formula is enhanced by the addition of creatine, L-glutamine and glutamine peptides, choline, inositol, para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) and MCT (medium chain length triglycerides).
- And, of course, 1,250 calories per serving when mixed in water, or 1,630 calories in milk.
- Includes the Mutant Pro multi-stage protein formula.
- Contains an exceptional 52 g of amino acids per serving.
- It uses Clean-Carb containing waxy corn.
- Comes with the addition of Lipo-Therm Sports Lipid Matrix containing medium-chain triglycerides.
- Contains Intrasorb-5 with colostrum and Cinnulin-PF.
- Easy to mix and has a very pleasant taste.
They are quickly absorbed into the blood and reach the muscles in 15 minutes. They are used to speed up muscle recovery after exercise to prevent exhaustion. Amino acids reduce muscle pain.
In sports nutrition, amino acids are now available in a large number of products based on different amino acids with a diverse spectrum of action:
- BCAAs, which include leucine, have a direct effect on protein synthesis;
- Glutamine aids muscle growth, prevents muscle breakdown and supports the body’s defence functions;
- Arginine helps increase nitric oxide synthesis and increases blood flow;
- Ornithine helps produce insulin and growth hormone;
- Carnitine is involved in fatty acid transport and energy production;
- Taurine promotes muscle growth and reduces fatigue;
- Tyrosine improves cognitive function and helps relieve stress;
- Beta-alanine is involved in the production of carnosine;
- Histidine promotes tissue growth and repair;
- Cysteine promotes collagen formation;
- Citrulline removes ammonia and lactic acid and is involved in the production of arginine;
- Amino acid complexes are products that act as providers of a range of amino acids in the most accessible and easily digestible form.
What amino acids should I buy?
Scivation Xtend BCAA
- Amino Acid Complex;
- For consumption during training;
- 7 grams of BCAA in a 2:1:1 ratio per serving;
- 2.5 grams of glutamine and 1 gram of citrulline per serving;
- With electrolytes for hydration;
- No carbohydrates or simple sugars;
- Promotes muscle growth;
- Combats catabolic processes;
- Accelerates recovery period;
- Helps maintain muscle mass;
- Increases strength capabilities.
Maxler 100% Golden BCAA
- 6,000 mg of BCAA in each serving;
- 2:1:1 ratio;
- Boosts Protein Synthesis;
- Accelerates muscle growth;
- Prevents muscle breakdown;
- Increases strength levels;
- Reduces recovery period.
Help make training easier, show muscle definition, and reduce weight. This type of sports nutrition works in conjunction with physical activity. And best of all – with aerobic training. Fat burners accelerate the process of decomposition of fat by increasing the metabolic rate, contributes to a decrease in appetite. However, fat burners should be used with caution. Their components can cause endocrine system disorders, headaches, insomnia, changes in the central nervous system, and palpitations.
What kind of fat burners to buy?
Lipo-6 Black Ultra
- Speeds up the metabolism
- Based on anhydrous caffeine, theobromine, bitter orange extract, yohimbine, and rauwolfia extract
- Strengthens thermogenesis
- Liquid capsules with high absorption rate
Cobra Labs The Ripper
- Natural plant extracts
- Contains caffeine and guarana
- Thermogenic and lipotropic effects
- Effective fat burning
Energy drinks and pre-workout complexes
High-energy mixtures based on carbohydrates and with the addition of tonic and stimulating substances. For example, caffeine, guana extract, and inosine. They are responsible for the rapid recovery of the body and the removal of fatigue. Energy drinks are drunk in order to increase the reserve of energy for training and to increase its efficiency. However, you should be careful when taking energy drinks and pre-training complexes. For example, it is dangerous for people with heart problems to take caffeine.